If you are considering siding replacement, you may want to explore the options that are available for your home. Siding is the first line of defense against the elements, and it is the thing that adds the most to your curb appeal. While color is a huge factor in the decision, the actual material of your siding should also be considered. Here the pros and cons of the seven major types of siding:
- Pros-A good siding replacement choice because it is both versatile and inexpensive. It can usually be installed over other existing materials which is why it is often used as a retrofit. The installation process is fairly swift because the material is easy to handle which will save you on the cost of labor. The colors and textures of modern vinyl offer you a multitude of choice.
- Cons-The maintenance is rather light, but there is still the possibility of mold and dirt building up on the vinyl surface. Inclement weather can cause damage which will lead to needed repairs. A standard vinyl panel is only 12-foot long which means you will see seams on your home.
- Pros- The natural aesthetic of wood makes it a favorite among designers. As a material, it is easy to work with and customize. With proper maintenance, it is long-lasting and durable.
- Cons-The price of quality wood siding can be on the higher end of the spectrum, and it is more susceptible to woodpeckers, termites, and rotting.
- Pros- This is a low maintenance siding option that is very durable. The design can be made to mimic other types of materials, and because it is so easy to paint it can be customized to suit most homes. It is a fire resistant material that doesn’t interest termites.
- Cons- As this type of siding is heavier than other materials; it can require special installation techniques which adds to the labor costs. It usually needs to be repainted every 15 years.
- Pros- Stucco has a unique look that is also quite durable. It doesn’t crack or chip easily, and it can last for a lifetime in dry climates.
- Cons- The process to add stucco to home requires three coats which can make the labor costs higher than other choices. It isn’t as durable in wet climates but can be managed with proper ventilation and maintenance.
When you are ready for siding replacement, contact Carroll Sons Inc. We are the siding experts you need no matter which type of siding you choose to add to your Medford, MA home.